Role of the Sponsor
The Sponsor is the the key person from the Fraternity working with the
students through out the process of becoming a chapter. The Sponsor is
part teacher, part advisor, part mentor and will guide the students
through the steps of the process, answer their questions, and bring in
other Fraternity staff members to help with any specific needs the group
has that go beyond what the Sponsor can do on his or her own.
- More than an Advisor, less than an Active
- Staff involvement critical to the success
of extension efforts
- Facilitate the process every step of the way, but don’t actually do things for the students
- Teach the group about the fraternity
The Education piece is critical. Just like
it is in a pledge program.
not assume prior knowledge of any aspect of APO
- Extension efforts come to us with different
levels of knowledge about the fraternity. Initial contact could be a transfer brother, friend of a brother, or
someone who just read about APO on the net.
people who contact us about starting a chapter have learned about APO from the
net and have had no prior contact with the fraternity.
includes everything about APO: the things in the pledge manual, that we have
conferences and why they should want to go, why female members are called
brother, what a project chair does, etc.
if the Sponsor has had exposure to how multiple chapters do things so the Sponsor can offer a range of
- Let the group find its path, don’t recreate the sponsor’s home chapter or the big brother chapter
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor please contact the Region I Extension Team via email at email@example.com and we will instruct you on how to become start the process.