Region 1 Scouting & Youth Services
Welcome to the Region I Scouting & Youth Services page! There are many resources here for your use, so enjoy your visit!
Chapter and Council Locator!
A way to find and contact the Alpha Phi Omega Chapter, Boy Scouts of America Council, Girl Scouts of the USA Council and Camp Fire USA Council nearest you. Open with Microsoft Excel.
The Mess Kit
This is the newsletter of the Region 1 Scouting & Youth Services Committee! The latest edition is coming soon! If you or your chapter has participated in any Scouting or Youth Services activity, please send a picture and a write up to scouting at apor1.org, and you can be included in the next edition of The Mess Kit!
How can Alpha Phi Omega provide service to Scouting?
Scouters: Get the brochure here:...page 1.... page 2
Brothers: Get the "Checklist to strengthen your Chapter's Scouting service program" here, in PDF or Word
Click here for suggested duties of a Scouting and Youth Services Committee Chair within an APO Chapter
Merit Badge University Resources
MBU HOW-TO.......pdf .... word
A guide to running a Merit Badge University
- Sample itinerary .........................word .... pdf
- Sample classroom sign ...........word .... pdf
- Sample promotional flyer .........pdf
- Sample news release ...............word .... pdf
- Sample registration grid ... .......excel ... pdf
- Blue card example .................... jpeg
- BSA leader application ............ pdf
- BSA counselor application,..... pdf
- Merit badge requirements ....... html
- Roles and responsibilities of a merit badge counselor .......word .... pdf
Apply for the M.R. Disborough Service to Scouting National Award
This award is presented every two years at the national convention. It was created to recognize Chapters with exceptional service to Scouting as an integral part of their overall service program.
Selection is made by the national convention's Scouting Reference Committee.
- Award criteria:
- Requires service to be performed by a chapter for Scouting
- Service should have a lasting effect
- Service performed may be through a continuing program or through a single outstanding project
- Service performed by the chapter must incur direct involvement with youth registered in any division of the Scouting Movement
- Number of youth served by the chapter's program or project will be considered
- Number of active members of the chapter involved with the program or project will be considered
- Complete the award application
Apply for the Herbert G. Horton - Service to Youth Award
This award is presented annually at Regional Conferences or at the National Convention by a member of the National Scouting & Youth Services Committee. Recognition of previous and recent recipients of this award should be made at subsequent Alpha Phi Omega Section Conferences, Regional Conferences, and National Conventions. In addition, a presentation may be made at a BSA local council or district function, such as an awards dinner or an annual meeting.
- Conducted at least one project in each of the four areas of service:
- Exemplifying the principles and values of Scouting and our Fraternity
- Developing scouting units and recruiting Scouting volunteers
- Strengthening the relationship between Alpha Phi Omega and Scouting, which might include:
- Helping Chapters or Alumni Associations charter Cub Scout Pack, Boy Scout Troops or Venturing Crews
- Serving as a leader to units chartered to Chapters or Alumni Associations
- Helping Chapters charter themselves as Venturing Crews
- Serving as a Chapters Scouting & Youth Services Advisor
- Assisting Chapters or Alumni Associations in developing a Scouting & Youth Services program and working with local Scouting units & councils, which might include events such as Merit Badge Universities.
- Promote Alpha Phi Omega within the Scouting community, including organizing or manning APO Info Booths at Scouting events
- Promote Scouting within Alpha Phi Omega
- Complete the award application
...did you know?
Alpha Phi Omega provides a recognition certificate for presentation at an Eagle Court of Honor or Gold Award Ceremony.
To request a certificate, submit your name, address, the recipient's name, council, troop and presentation date. Allow one week for processing. Click here for a script to read when presenting the certificate.
Alpha Phi Omega National Scouting & Youth Services site
Boy Scouts of America
Girl Scouts of the USA
Youth Services America
Questions? Comments? Send up a smoke signal to scouting [at] apor1.org.